Publicado: 09/11/2020

Australian media on trial for alleged Pell gag-order breach

Australian media on trial for alleged Pell gag-order breach

Melbourne (AFP) -

Australia's biggest news organisations and editorial staff members went on trial Monday on charges they breached a 2018 gag order on coverage of Cardinal George Pell's now-quashed sex crimes convictions.

Several of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp mastheads as well as former Fairfax group newspapers, now owned by broadcaster Nine, are among those who dispute that they breached the court order.

The 18 accused editorial staff members, who include reporters, editors and broadcasters, face potential prison sentences if found guilty of being in contempt of court, while the media companies could be slapped with fines.

All of the accused deny the charges.

A judge issued the suppression order in December 2018 to prevent news of Pell's convictions from prejudicing jurors in an expected second trial on child sex abuse charges that were subsequently dropped in early 2019.

But the order meant Pell's 2018 convictions for abusing two choirboys in the 1990s -- which were overturned in April this year -- initially could not be reported in Australia, including on the internet.

In opening the case Monday, prosecutor Lisa De Ferrari told the Victorian Supreme Court that US-based publications The Daily Beast and The Washington Post were among the first to break the news online.

Local media then ran cryptic articles saying they had been barred from reporting on a story of major public interest involving a high-profile Australian.

Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper printed a black front page emblazoned with the word 'CENSORED', saying 'the world is reading a very important story that is relevant to Victorians'.

De Ferrari said the coverage amounted to an 'invitation to read' the news about Pell that had been published online by outlets outside Australia.

She also tendered as evidence emails between editors at Melbourne-based newspaper The Age debating the merits of publishing an article that explained why they could not report on the story.

'I am totally for a free press. However, I believe everyone should have the same legal protection when facing court,' The Age's weekday print editor Selma Milovanovic wrote in objection.

In response, then-editor Alex Lavelle said: 'There are those who would say that this is more evidence that the MSM (mainstream media) is irrelevant and we don't need them.

'And there are people asking why we aren't reporting on this story.'

Will Houghton, defence barrister for News Corp and its journalists, and Matt Collins, representing all other media including Nine, 2GB radio and lifestyle website Mamamia, are yet to present their arguments.

The judge-only trial, which is being held via video link due to coronavirus restrictions, is expected to last 10 to 15 days.

Más en Zeta

¿Quieren  inscribirse?

¿Quieren inscribirse?

20 November 2020
En el Tribunal Electoral reposa la solicitud de un grupo denominado Partido Torrijista Revolucionario (PTR) que quiere iniciar su proceso de inscripción. Típico con la armónicaEl periodista Valerio Ábrego Jiménez, con motivo de las fiestas patrias, interpretó varias piezas musicales panameñas co...

La inversión extranjera, un ingrediente clave para la recuperación

ZETA, (JEAN PIERRE LEIGNADIER*).- Se ha iniciado un proceso de reapertura económica en el cual todos los sectores productivos del país deben trabajar de manera sostenida hacia la recuperación y reactivación; paralelamente hay que dar pasos firmes y certeros para fortalecer y proyectar las ventaja...

Planificación turística frente a nuevos retos y oportunidades

ZETA, (JEAN PIERRE LEIGNADIER).- Las actividades turísticas en el país reabren a partir de esta semana con el reto de reactivar este importante componente de la economía nacional. Al sector turismo le tomará más tiempo en recuperarse que otras actividades a nivel mundial; no obstante, hay que ac...

Explosivo debut al bate tuvo el novato Jordán Agrazal

ZETA, (HARMODIO ARROCHA JR).¿Qué me gustó de la apertura del torneo nacional de béisbol mayor 2020?. Lo bueno...El feroz despegue de la liga con la pólvora encendida y sobre todo buen pitcheo. A la ofensiva brilló el novato coclesano Jordán Agrazal, quien fue el héroe en el triunfo de Coclé por...

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.